Blog Archive

Sunday, March 14, 2010

March 14, 2010 - the girls' visit


the girls came in to see kristen this morning. they climbed in bed with her and she was the happiest i think i have seen her in the seventeen years we've been together. afterward, she whispered to me, "i don't think you've ever felt that way before." she's probably right. there's so much wonder and beauty i take for granted: flowers, smiles, wine, laughter, work, walks, wind, waves, bike rides, cooking and hugs from my daughters.

she was transferred today to HUP (hospital of the university of pennsylvania) under the care of dr. samir mehta. the transfer itself was easy and it is heartening to see kristen so alert and sharp.

in some important ways kristen is better. she is eating (chicken, spinach and bread - a home cooked meal from our lovely neighbor.) she is sleeping (she was switched of the iv dilaudid because of nightmares and anxiety.) and her fever is moderating (98.5/6 for over a day now in small part because she is now on oral percoset which has tylenol in it.)

after her latest (fifth?) debridement on saturday, the doctors are concluding that infection is confined to the left calf(good), but is not abating (bad). her system is fighting the good fight but it is having trouble penetrating the tissue. this is the theory. dr. mehta is the chief of the orthopedic trauma division here at penn. he will conduct a debridement tomorrow and after that a meeting among doctors to figure how to proceed.

kristen knows all your thoughts are with her but some more well wishes here on the blog will give her strength. keep it coming!!

and hug your babies.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Kris I feel so happy to see your beautiful smile with your beautiful little girl. I can't wait to hug you too. Wed I'll be there. Hold on. I'm with you every minute - I love you. Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen Keep up the good work and spirit. The picture with the baby is pricless and the smile on your face was beautiful.LOVE Aunt Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen and Ben, It was wonderful to see you holding Clara, knowing the beauty of that love you have for both her and Mae. It was so good to see you! Thanks Ben for the picture. I started another form of meditation today for you and because it's Sunday, I had more time with it. I could see the healing light of energy going into your whole body, and into your leg. When you come home and are healed enough for massage, that's the first thing I'll get for you and Ben! Stay strong and I'll see you both soon. Also, wanted to forward an e-mail my friend Frances sent. She lost one of her son's to cancer and has been down this hard road. She is an awesome support for me and for you guys. Love, mom

    Hi Caryl,
    So glad that you emailed information. Have been wondering how Kristen is doing. Glad Jen is there to support her brother. What an ordeal!! Hope that you are holding up ok, it must be really hard on you also not knowing the outcome and feeling for your son, Kristen and the girls. My prayers and healing energy are sent every day and whenever during the day I think about them or think of you. It has been often during the day. I put them in my healing circle last week as well as you. That is the group I still attend every month. So there was 7 people sending them healing prayers and energy.
    TAke care and much love to you.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben and Kristen,

    It is so good to see you Kristen!! You are such a beautiful woman. I am thinking about you a lot and sending you healing prayers and thoughts. My heart aches to know you are struggling like you are. Mae and Clara are blessed with a wonderful mother! I love you. Stay strong.
    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,

    It's so good to see your smiling face! You look radiant - I can't imagine how wonderful it felt to see your girls today. This photo of you and Clara is just so lovely and gorgeous. It makes me so happy to know you were all together today.

    Please know that I'm thinking about all of you and sending you love and prayers.

    Best,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen --

    Can't believe that I'm just finding out about this -- we work in a newsroom, for heaven's sake! I am so glad to see the picture of you and your smiling daughter. If there is anything I can do for you (including filling out a set of NCAA brackets for Jon Poet's office pool), please let me know. :-)

    Sending you strength and best wishes,
    Kathy Matheson

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful picture! It's great to see your smiling faces, and so nice to hear you all got to spend some time together, complete with hugs and cuddles. You are in our thoughts frequently and we continue to send lots of love and healing energy your way.
    xoxo
    Maritza

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen,

    What a blessing to see you smiling with your beautiful daughter curled up in your arms. We miss your sweet and calming presence in the office, especially the wry comments on some of the idiocy that abounds in our universe. Please know that I am praying for you. And if you and Ben need anything, just give a holler. You're family and we're only a short drive away.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen,

    You and Clara look so happy and so beautiful! Thank you, Ben, for sharing this glorious photo. How wonderful it must have been for the girls to see you and for you to see them. Kristen, we continue to send healing thoughts and prayers to you. You are surrounded by love and strength and positive energy. Much love to you, Suzie & Thom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo. Thanks so much for sharing that. Hang in there Scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kristen and Ben
    It was good to see a picture of a smiling Kristen and daughter! I asked the prayer circle at my church to do its very best for you. I can't begin to tell you how much I miss you in the morning, and I hope this is resolved and you will be on your way home to recuperate ASAP. Ben and your children are also in my thoughts and prayers, as it cannot possibly be easy on them. Later, I will complain about post-traumatic stress disorder and how much I hate NYC taxis, but for now - hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen- this pic of you and Clara is amazing - I can feel the love.
    Thinking of you always. Hoping and praying for you guys. Stay strong, my friend, you are incredible. And Ben is right there with you in my estimation.
    The girls are in the bath right now and they are spilling water everywhere doing a "splish-splash contest". Hmmm... Then I thought, really no biggie. Going to give them both big hugs, despite the flood.
    Love you guys. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey guys -

    We are thinking of you -- keep fighting Kristen, and don't forget we have a pair of U2 tickets waiting for you when you get out!

    Love, Shane and Christina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristen,

    That's a great photo of you and Clara (I don't think I've seen her since she was a newborn).

    I hope the doctors figure everything out and that you're feeling better soon.

    Hang in there,

    J.J. Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ben & Kristen
    We are sending Thoughts of love and healing to you and the girls...Josh, Julia and Joe are here with us for the time Jen is there with you. You are on the prayer list at our church and there are a lot of heavy hotteres praying for healing for Kristen
    With much love
    Paul and Dorothy Caputo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kristen,
    So sorry to hear that you're going through all of this! Sending lots of healing thoughts your way. Please let me know if there's anything I can do -- I live close by and would be happy to help out with errands or anything you need.
    We miss you! See you soon. -JoAnn L.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this picture. It is great to see the joy on Kristen's face. Kids bring out the strenght in all of us and must have provided Kristen with even more determination to fight this.
    to your point Ben, it's a pitty terrible things have to happen for us to realize the simple joys of life.
    Can't wait to see you! V~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ben and Kristen, sending along an e-mail Sean sent. Love and healing energy to you Kristen, Love, Caryl

    We pray for Kristen from Montana and hope it is helping.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful picture and such a beautiful time with the girls!

    The continued uncertainty about what's going on is maddening, but the continued progress is so fantastic. And what a great smile!!

    Sorry I'm a little late with this ... on the go 18 hours a day at a seminar in Oklahoma. Yes, Oklahoma. Don't ask. Anyway, checking the blog was the first thing I did upon surfacing for air and it was so great to see this.

    Have a great Wednesday ...

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Kristen !
    What a beatiful photo.Your smiles radiate off the page.
    I'm so sorry for your struggles, but I'm glad to read about your continued improvement.
    You and your family are awesome !
    All the best,
    Kiley

    ReplyDelete