Blog Archive

Monday, April 5, 2010

April 5, 2010 - home for easter

kristen is home and happy. among the many drugs she has shed since friday is ativan (aka lorazepam, aka instant chemical happiness). she had been taking it to cope with anxiety attacks she experienced during the last month in the hospital. the effect of being around mae and clara is extraordinary. in her words, "i don't need it anymore. my family is my ativan."

the way we have the room situated, the sun beams at midday through the stained glass window at the head of her bed. but as often as not she is in a chair. and when she eats, she eats at the table.

for easter we had lamb, potatoes and green beans. her parents, her sister, her niece, her nephew, her daughters and i all ate a regular meal in a regular way and that made it special.



as my father told kristen yesterday on the phone, "life is full of epiphanies and resurrections." as kristen said in haiku:

.........................
winter brought me here
all darkness and coldness
is now spring for home

.........................

10 comments:

  1. Ben & Kristen:
    How appropriate that Kristen was home for Easter as it is the day that brings hope to millions and signifies new beginnings. The prayers of many continue for healing and strength for you Kristen, and your family. So happy for you and I know two little girls that are SO glad to have their mom at home!
    Dottie & Paul Caputo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so glad to spend the weekend with you. We're so happy you all are together again. Praise God! Sending you all lots of love and prayers from Tucson. Tara and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen - Hooray you are home!! I'm so glad you made it home for Easter so you can spend special time with your family. Did you get our card? Hope so! Thinking of you!
    - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news that you're home! Keep up the fight!
    Marty Steinberg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I thought about you all often on Sunday and was sure you were enjoying a very happy Easter. Glad to see the photo evidence! You look great, Kristen! I'm sending my hugs to you via Dirk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter what state it was in, I'm sure your home never looked better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home, Kristen, and Happy Easter to all of you! Carl and I have been lurking on this blog for a long time and thinking of you all constantly and I just wanted to say how happy I am to see this picture of Kristen looking so well. Lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, great, great news! Kristen, I'm so happy to hear that you are home. Even if the layout of your house may pose some challenges, I am sure that you are filled with joy to be reunited with your hubby and girls and the rest of your family and friends in your own place. I'll call soon so we can pick up our conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is from Maxine:
    Kristen, so happy to hear that you are gleefully home. 'Home' has to be one of your favorite words right now.
    Those adorable girls are great medicine!
    Ben, you are so eloquent. Looking forward to more good news.

    ReplyDelete