Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 17, 2010

today's news is very positive. we have swung from fearing amputation to believing again in near-full recovery. these posts must seem a dizzying, herky-jerky exercise in frustration to you all. i wish there was more i could do to keep the news consistent and clear, but the barrage of information we receive is difficult to synthesize on the best of days.


dr. mehta's partner explained that no bacteria grew from the tissue debrided monday. (email me if you are interested in the clinical process of growing the cultures). the cloudy fluid from the medial incision (suspected monday to be pus) may actually have been something called post infection inflammatory disorder; basically the body's continued immune response to a cleared infection. the medial side of the calf was re-closed today because it looked healthy and they took new cultures from the tissue. a fluid sample was taken from kristen's knee to determine if there is any bacterial activity there (an mri showed fluid at that site so there was some concern.)


the surgeon described the lateral wound flesh as "better than what previous surgeons had described." it either got better or he has a different eye. this is one of the many variables in keeping track of all this. there is continued confidence that no fasciitis is ascending into the thigh region despite some fluid there. the surgeon was very pleased with the way things look and is hopeful for a "happy" result.


i of course am also hopeful for a happy result. her fever hit again this evening and she continues to struggle with all this, but today counts as a good one. thanks for all your support and love.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Ben and Kristen, mom here with tears of joy and thanksgiving! I know this is a step at a time process, and this is really good news. You both deserve some peace and happiness. What a struggle this is. But for now, the relief allows my tears to flow. Kristen, I will continue to pour out prayers and visions of healing energy flowing through you, for you and into your body to fight and heal. And for you Ben, Happy Birthday, a day to celebrate life. I love you both so much. Love, mom Caryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ben and Kristen, Steffani and I continue to pray and watch your progress. Words fail me on most days. I admire the courage you both exhibit. Kristin's "I am so lucky" humbles us all, but the irony is...she's so right on so many levels. God bless you all. Love, Bob & Steffani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    Please don't worry that your posts aren't "clear" or "consistent." Of course we all hope and pray the news will continue to be consistently positive, but you are doing such an amazing job keeping all of us -- Kristen and your friends and family -- updated through such an agonizing time. I hope this blog is helping you try to keep track of and make sense of everything you are told. It certainly helps us to better understand the challenges Kristen is facing, and how courageous both of you are being. I continue to struggle with understanding why this illness strikes anyone, let alone someone as healthy and spirited and wonderful and young as Kristen.
    I am heartened by the doctor's optimism and I hope that it is helping the two of you get through another day of this struggle. Please tell her K I love her.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ben and Kristen,
    Hang in there! Sounds like you're in a great hospital with excellent doctors! Everyone here continues to send positive vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete