athey are hopeful to have her out of the hospital by the end of next week - two more debridements this week, followed by closure and graft on monday, march 22. it will take 5 days for the graft to take and heal, so the earliest possible "checkout" is march 27. none of this is guaranteed, but it's the first time we've received any sort of timeline and we are taking what we can get.
a few other details: they are considering hyberbaric chamber treatment to accelerate the wound healing (an oxygen rich tank ala diver decompression / michael jackson's bedroom); they want her up and in a wheelchair when possible and getting outside to boost her mood.
the word of the day is etiology. in kristen's case it's still unknown and folks with big brains are puzzling over how and why this has happened to her. for now we are happy that the critical phase looks to be closing.
kristen looks and sounds great and i expect she will be up for visitors and/or calls before long.
All good news, Ben. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteGreat news, Ben! It sounds like Kristen is getting really good care. Also, re your last post: This site is a lifeline for all of us who can't be there with you. It couldn't be less selfish; it's incredibly generous. If it's therapy for you, that's wonderful! Sending love and prayers your way - Erin
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful, wonderful, encouraging news! Tell Kristen "The Leg Has Turned a Corner" could be the name of the book she will have to write about this ordeal.
ReplyDeleteIt does sound like she's getting amazing care, and I'm sure the doctors are emotionally invested in getting a terrific, loving, talented mother like Kristen back at home healthy with her hubby and kids.
And Ben, I second my good friend Erin's thoughts: This blog has been an awesome tool to help keep us all connected and update on Kristen. I check for updates constantly, and am so grateful when you post one. I'm glad it helps you, as well.
Please tell Kristen I continue to pray for her and look forward to talking to her, soon.
Much love,
Tara
I'm so glad to hear about the good prognosis, and to know Kristen's getting such good care. And thanks for all the updates.
ReplyDelete--J.J. Thompson
Ben and Kristen, I'm so relieved to hear this positive news. I continue to send love and happiness, along with the continued strength to move through the rest. I'm very glad to hear this. My heart and energy are with you both, because even though it looks like the worst is over, there's still recovery, and emotions abound to deal with. I will see you soon enough but as always, am with you in spirit. Love, mom Caryl
ReplyDeleteBen - Your blog has been a blessing for those of us far away from you and Kristen. So thank you thank you thank you!
ReplyDeleteKristen - Hello! I'm thinking about your fast recovery every day. I hope to see you soon! We're planning the 20 year reunion. Can you believe it's been 20 years?! I pray for you every day and I know that God won't ever leave your side. Hugs to you!
- Rachel Ochoa-Tafoya
Let's mark that date on our calendars! The news sounds very good.
ReplyDeleteGreat news! Let the countdown to a homecoming begin!
ReplyDeleteBen, this is awesome news. So glad to hear Kristen could be out of the hospital the week before Easter. We're all praying and rooting for her. Please give her a hug from her East Desk mates.
ReplyDelete- Amanda