the news about her prognosis is pretty blah. i wish i could tell you that everything was clear and they're sewing her up tomorrow. i can't. there was additional dead tissue and huffman anticipates two more debridements before we're done. wednesday is scheduled and friday is all but. his opinion is that she is not in any danger of losing her leg but continues to stress she has a high probability of losing some function in the leg. he still feels pretty confident there is no movement of the bacterial decay toward her trunk and they have no reason to believe the bacteria has caused tissue decay anywhere else.
antibiotics are coursing through her bloodstream and her blood is believed to be "clear." her fever did not spike above 100.7 today (best yet) and her resting heart rate is hovering under 100bpm (compared to 130-140bpm a couple days ago and around 75bpm before all this began). her mouth is still full of blisters and they still don't quite know why. we are trudging straight ahead through thick mud, but we are trudging ahead.
thank you all so much for the love and caring.
Kristen and Ben, I wanted to let you know all the people that are also sending their love, energy and prayers. Friends at work: Deb, Mary, Pam, Teri, Renee, Patty, Rosanne, Mary, Lisa, George, all send their thoughts, energy and prayers. Aunt Bernadine is having a Mass said for you, Uncle Arthur sends his prayers as well. (Ben said he also got an e-mail from Uncle Arthur saying that). Bob and Stephanie are praying for you and Stephanie started a Novena for you. Mike and Connie and Phil send their love and energy. Mary, Ruth and Vivian send love, prayers and are thinking of you. Pat and Rosie and Kenny send their love and prayers as well. My friends, Pat and Frances are praying for you, sending you energy and thoughts and Norma wanted me to tell you she is thinking of you and asked if there was anything she could do. I started praying for you both Thursday at 3 a.m. and will continue. I am with you in spirit and will be there when you need me, when that time comes. The joy of loving you is also the path I share with you now, the fear and sorrow, the hopes of better times. You are both strong, and I know you will get through this together with all the love and prayer pouring in, from all your family, friends and even folks that don't know you. This is the long haul of life, the part we don't like, but know I am with you in spirit. I pass on a blessing My mom gave to me; "May you feel the wings of angles hover around you, hold you, heal you and let you feel peace." You are Blessed and Blessed Be! Love, mom Caryl
ReplyDeleteYou are all in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteSuzanne Rowland
Sending a steady stream of positive energy and lots of love from NJ. Kristen is an amazing, strong, courageous, beautiful fighter. We're thinking of you.
ReplyDeletePrayers, positive and healing thoughts, and love are being sent to all of you from so many. Keep up your spirits and your strength and know that you are not alone in this fight. We are with you in spirit, and we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Hugs, Suzie & Thom
ReplyDeleteWow Ben, my mom just forwarded your e-mails and blog link today after she mentioned it to me on the phone last night. Sounds like Kristen has had a rough few weeks but doing well considering the medical emergency that is compartment syndrome. I've never seen it (had one patient we thought might have it but turned out not to be) but boy did we move fast once we suspected that might be the diagnosis. I gotta agree with you on the Dilaudid too; I've seen some pretty big guys who were used to taking some pretty heavy stuff knocked out cold by it. It sounds like they are taking very good care of her. The mouth soars could be thrush(it's pretty common while on antibiotics but I'm sure they have alreayd ruled that out since you say they don't know the cause) I'm interested in more detail if you still want to share. You can send to my work e-mail sonya.m.trine@Intel.com Please give Kristen our love and let her know that we're hoping she is well and back home quickly. Give the girls a kiss from Tyler and I. Love you, Sonya
ReplyDeleteKristen,
ReplyDeleteMy prayers and thoughts are with you, as are so many of your friends at AP-NYC. Marty steinberg called me and Jeff McMillan gave me your home address, so don't think your colleagues at 450 W. 33rd have forgotten about you _ because we haven't!!!! I am praying for your speedy recovery so you can be resting in your own bed. I miss you in the morning, and if I could give you a get-well hug, I would. Please get well soon. Carol Deegan.
Kristen, I'm thinking of you. You are so amazing and brave. Lots of love from new york.
ReplyDeleteMary